Cash boost to get more kids cycling and walking to school
As Bike to School Week kicked off yesterday (28 September), the UK government announced £2 million to get more young people and their families physically active:
- support to help more children cycle or walk as part of their journey to school
- in-school cycle repair scheme to ensure children’s bikes are fit for the road.
Half of the money will go to setting up cycle repair workshops in primary schools and local neighbourhoods. In November, ‘Doctor Bike’ clinics will be rolled out in areas where children are likely to need more support.
The other £1 million will help to boost the number of children walking to school, by tackling the barriers that prevent them doing so and providing schools with classroom materials and access to local initiatives.
Cycling and Walking Minister, Chris Heaton-Harris said:
Cycling and walking is good for people and the planet’s health, so we want half of all journeys to be cycled or walked by 2030. To do that, we must encourage young people to see cycling and walking as as normal as getting the bus or train.
This funding will support schools and local communities to get more children walking to school, and set up bike surgeries that will help children get their bikes ready to roll, so they can start their day healthy and happy!
The funding is part of the UK Government’s plan to create safer streets for cycling and walking, which it launched in the summer.
- BetterPoints hits 10 million sustainable journeys
- Cash boost to get more kids cycling and walking to school
- New transport funding to ‘transform’ Norwich, Portsmouth and South East Hampshire
- Councils in England face big challenges for active travel
- Record funding announced for Active Travel in Wales
Want to improve cycling and walking in your locality? Talk to us.
BetterPoints is a world-leading scalable and customisable behaviour change platform. Whether you want to encourage citizens to maintain newly acquired cycling behaviours or analyse the success of your infrastructure, we can help.
Ask us for a demo today.